Packaging and dependencies

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Wed Sep 26 10:10:01 EDT 2007

> Agreed, but until we reach the ideal situation where everybody is using
> the same package dependency system what's your practical solution?
> "Self-contained" has the merit that nobody else's changes are going to
> bugger about with my application on a customer's system. The extra disk
> space is a small price to pay for that guarantee.

Couldn't have summed up that better. As much as I loathe Java for a variety
of reasons, and as much as it's CLASSPATH-issues suck especially in larger
projects that have _interproject-dependency-troubles_ (ever felt the joy of
having the need for several XML-parsers to be available in your
AppServer?) - the fact that one has to and can compose the CLASSPATH
explicitly for each app is often an advantage. And I don't mind the extra
diskspace - that's usually eaten by media files of dubious origins, not by
_code_ that someone has written & packaged up...

Diez