Google and Python

Erik Jones erik at myemma.com
Wed Sep 19 16:02:25 EDT 2007

On Sep 19, 2007, at 2:44 PM, TheFlyingDutchman wrote:

>> Have you tried Google "google python".  Turns up a lot of links
>> for me.
>>
> I had done it on this newsgroup, but not google. I did find a pretty
> good link:
>
> http://panela.blog-city.com/python_at_google_greg_stein__sdforum.htm
>
> Which says:
> "A few services including code.google.com and google groups.  Most
> other front ends are in C++ (google.com) and Java (gmail).  All web
> services are built on top of a highly optimizing http server wrapped
> with SWIG."
>
> I am not clear on how you would use a language - whether C++, Java or
> Python to write the web app with this custom http server. Is this http
> server what is referred to as an "application server" or is it the
> main web server which is usually Apache at most sites?

No an http server and application server are two different things.
An http server services requests of a web server those requests can
be for static files or for services of a local application in which
case the request if forwarded on to the application.  An application
services requests of an application.  They are separate concepts,
often chained, although they are sometimes implemented together.
What they are saying here is that they have built a highly optimizing
custom web server in C++ that services web requests for services of
applications written in any of the three listed languages.  So, yes,
in this case it is what is often Apache in other installations.

Erik Jones

Software Developer | Emma®
erik at myemma.com
800.595.4401 or 615.292.5888