Python Database Apps

Jonathan Gardner jgardner.jonathangardner.net at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 15:57:22 EDT 2007

On Sep 11, 5:56 am, Harry George <harry.g.geo... at boeing.com> wrote:
> I use postgresql as well.  I wonder if Pythonistas do so out of
> concern for rigor, clarity, and scalability.  It works fine for a
> quick one-off effort and still works fine after scaling to a DBMS
> server supporting lots of clients, and running 10's of GBs of data.

I can only speak for myself, but I use it for the reasons you listed.
I also appreciate the concise and clear documentation, the helpfulness
of the community, and the clarity of the code. It's also pretty easy
to get back into PostgreSQL after leaving it for years. There's not
too many weird details you have to remember to get your job done.

> Of course, as long as you write DBI2 compliant code, your app doesn't
> much care which DBMS you use.  The postgresql payoff is in admin
> functionality and scaling and full ACID.

It's not true that DBI2 compliance meands plug-and-play. Among the
various databases, the featuresets are different, and the way certain
features are implemented is different. You need something like
SQLAlchemy on top to make it truly portable.