The meaning of a = b in object oriented languages

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Tue Sep 18 01:48:09 EDT 2007

Summercool <Summercoolness at gmail.com> writes:

> I just want to confirm that in OOP, if a is an object, then b = a is
> only copying the reference.

Whether the language is OO or not has no bearing on this question. The
semantics of the assignment operator can and do differ between
languages, orthogonal to whether OOP is involved.

--
 \     "Our task must be to free ourselves from our prison by widening |
  `\    our circle of compassion to embrace all humanity and the whole |