Google and Python

Hendrik van Rooyen mail at microcorp.co.za
Tue Sep 25 02:34:21 EDT 2007

"Nick Craig-Wood" <ni....d.com> wrote:

> Passing file descriptors between processes is one of those things I've
> always meant to have a go with, but the amount of code (in Advanced
> Programming in the Unix Environment) needed to implement it is rather
> disconcerting!  A python module to do it would be great!

I must be missing something here.

What is the advantage of passing the open file rather than just the
fully qualified file name and having the other process open the
file itself?

I would tend to not go this route, but would opt for one "file owner"
process and use a message based protocol if heavy sharing is envisaged.
It feels "more right" to me than to have different processes read and write
to the same thing.  I can imagine big Dragons with sharp teeth...

- Hendrik