Google and Python

Nick Craig-Wood nick at craig-wood.com
Mon Sep 24 04:30:11 EDT 2007

Paul Rubin <http> wrote:
>  David <wizzardx at gmail.com> writes:
> > Another method is for the apps to run continuously and serve on non-80
> > port (or on 80 from another host), and your main web server on port 80
> > reverse proxies to it when appropriate.
>
>  You can also pass the open sockets around between processes instead of
>  reverse proxying, using the SCM_RIGHTS message on Unix domain sockets
>  under Linux, or some similar mechanism under other Unixes (no idea
>  about Windows).  Python does not currently support this but one of
>  these days I want to get around to writing a patch.

An interesting idea!  Are there any web servers which work like that
at the moment?

Passing file descriptors between processes is one of those things I've
always meant to have a go with, but the amount of code (in Advanced
Programming in the Unix Environment) needed to implement it is rather
disconcerting!  A python module to do it would be great!