Coming from Perl

Amer Neely perl4hire at softouch.on.ca
Thu Sep 13 09:30:19 EDT 2007

Ben Finney wrote:
> Amer Neely <perl4hire at softouch.on.ca> writes:
>
>> Well, I have checked everything I can but I'm getting '500 Internal
>> Server Error'.
>
> This is the HTTP response code saying that the program that should
> have served the response document instead exited with an error.
>
> To debug, you should first run the program (or at least the part that
> you're trying to implement) *outside* the context of a web server. Do
> it at a command line, and any errors will show up as exception
> tracebacks.
>
> Only when you have something that performs correctly outside a web
> server context should you consider how to wrap it in that new
> (harder-to-debug) context.

That is where I'm stuck. It runs fine on my home computer, but I don't
have shell access to my hosted site.

Can you or anyone see anything in the posted code that might be the
cause? Why is it so much harder to debug? There is no syntax error that
I can tell. I've set the file permissions to rwxr-xr-x. I've printed the
correct content type. It's a simple print statement, as per several
examples I've seen.

Is it an Apache thing? I've not seen any mention in the documentation on
that.

--
Amer Neely
w: www.webmechanic.softouch.on.ca/