Python code-writing for the blind. Was (Re: newbie: stani's pythoneditor if-else)

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Sun Sep 9 08:26:08 EDT 2007

Hamilton, William a écrit :
>>From: madzientist
>>
>>Thanks, everybody, for the very very useful and kind responses.
>>
>>There is a second reason why I asked the question about automatic de-
>>indenting. I am teaching myself Python partly so I can then help my
>>technically astute, but blind friend learn programming. For the many
>>reasons that Pythonistas like to cite often, I thought Python would be
>>a good choice to learn programming, and that perhaps the indentation
>>problem would be solved by the use of an intelligent editor.
>>
>>But now I am not so sure, though I will try Emacs. Is there anyone
>>here with experience in such issues ?

There has been recently a thread about the use of a preprocessor for
blind Python programmers, you may want to have a look:
http://groups.google.fr/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/80654a87bfa89e3b/de268f888d9cdf0e

(snip)
>>More seriously, the added issue is that SPE uses spaces, not a single
>>tab to indent the lines,

Most code editor let you configure this. wrt/ Python, just make sure you
do not, never, mix tabs and spaces.

(snip)