Python code-writing for the blind. Was (Re: newbie: stani's python editor if-else)

madzientist madzientist at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 13:18:43 EDT 2007

Thanks, everybody, for the very very useful and kind responses.

There is a second reason why I asked the question about automatic de-
indenting. I am teaching myself Python partly so I can then help my
technically astute, but blind friend learn programming. For the many
reasons that Pythonistas like to cite often, I thought Python would be
a good choice to learn programming, and that perhaps the indentation
problem would be solved by the use of an intelligent editor.

But now I am not so sure, though I will try Emacs. Is there anyone
here with experience in such issues ? Maybe for her sake, I should
switch to learning Perl ;) ;)

More seriously, the added issue is that SPE uses spaces, not a single
tab to indent the lines, and I believe it is extremely tedious to use
screen-readers to keep track of blank spaces at the beginning of each
line. I have not tried it myself yet, but I will soon.

Is Python a bad choice for the blind programmer, as a result of a
tight linkage between visual aspects of the code and its function ? I
wish the site blindprogramming.com weren't so lifeless...

Thanks, Suresh