Arp request to get MAc Adress with IP address

Yu-Xi Lim yuxi at ece.gatech.edu
Tue Oct 30 22:52:21 EDT 2007

amjadcsu at gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a network on same subnet. I have an ip address of a machine.
> but i need to get its MAC Adress.
> Sendingf ARP request is the way i am taking.
>
> IS there any other way to get this MAC Adress in python.??
>
> Also does python go down to level 2 of TCP/IP model??
>

> Sorry if i am to naive. Just learning python
>
> thanks

Python's standard libs don't do that, but you can probably work out
something with sockets.

However, I do recommend you take a look at Scapy, which is just great
for network protocol manipulation. http://www.secdev.org/projects/scapy/

I hadn't used it in a while, but when I last tried it, it was very
promising.