Python Interview Questions

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Tue Oct 30 18:17:03 EDT 2007

>> Good luck with your interviewing and hope this helped,
>>
>> -tkc
>
> Well, I was looking exactly for this. Many thanks to you Tim. After
> going through your list I came to know that I know nothing in Python
> and have to catch up a whole lot.

It was certainly not an exhaustive list of "you must know
everything on this list or else you'd never get hired", or
conversely, it's also not a "if you don't know everything on this
list, you're not worthy to call yourself a Python programmer".

It's a way I've found to gauge what somebody means when they say
the program in Python.  I've had the gamut of folks where that
phrase means anything from "I glanced at some Python code once"
to "I'm Guido" (okay, so that's a bit of hyperbole, but you get
the idea).  My goal is to use as few questions as possible to
flush out just what an interviewee mean by "I program in Python".

Hanging out here on the c.l.p list will introduce you to a lot of
these ideas on the sly.  For my "basic" categories,
lists/tuples/dicts/sets as well as list-comprehensions show up
here regularly; I've answered several on basic file processing in
the last day or two (iterate over a file object, doing something
with each line); you see truth-testing regularly (and
chastizement when folks do things like "if foo == True"); you see
basic exception handling...all the basic stuff is regularly
covered/used here.

Knowledge of the available system libraries comes with using them
and having need for them.  I'm still learning it.  I finally
tired of writing my own command-line parsers and investigated
what the std. lib had to offer, only to find that optparse did
everything I needed: cleanly, readably, and extensibly.  So now I
use that instead.  That sort of experience only comes from time
emersed in using Python to solve problems.

All that to say, don't sweat it too badly, and that fortunately
Python is an easy language to work with.

-tkc