why did these companies choose Tcl over Python

Eddie Corns eddie at holyrood.ed.ac.uk
Wed Oct 31 07:12:47 EDT 2007

chewie54 <dfabrizio51 at gmail.com> writes:

>Hello,

>As an electronics engineer I use some very expensive EDA CAD tool
>programs that are scriptable using Tcl.  I was wondering why these
>companies have choose to use Tcl instead of Python.   Some of these
>are:

>   Mentor Graphics ModelTech VHDL and Verilog simulator
>   Synopsys  Design Compiler and Primetime Static Timing Analyzer
>   Actel FPGA tools.

>Tcl seems to very popular in my business as the scripting language of
>choice.

>I'm in the process of deciding to use Tcl or Python for a CAD tool
>program that I have been working on.    Most of the core of the
>program,  the database,   will be done is C as an extension to either
>Tcl or Python,   but I intend to use Tk or wxPthon for the GUI.   I do
>need publishing quality outputs from drawings done on a graphics
>device that are scaled to standard printer paper sizes.

>I would prefer to use Python but can't deny how popular Tcl is,  as
>mentioned above,  so my question is why wasn't Python selected by
>these companies as the choice of scripting languages for their
>product?

Having abandoned TCL for Python years ago, my thought is:

If you expect your users to write (and maintain) large scripts - have mercy on
them and don't give them TCL.

For larger programs/scripts having proper data structures, readable syntax,
etc. is a very significant factor.  (Of course TCL may have improved beyond
all recognition since I last used it).  Try putting together some sample
scripts in both languages and see how easily others can understand them (and
yourself in a few months).

When I want something nimbler than Python I use Lua.

Eddie