python bytecode questions.

Kay Schluehr kay.schluehr at gmx.net
Tue Oct 9 04:56:30 EDT 2007

On Oct 9, 10:20 am, warhero <beingthexemplaryli... at gmail.com> wrote:

> First question, I can't seem to get any python bytecode to be
> produced. I've tried different techniques from chapter 30.8 to chapter
> 31 of the python guide.. I was under the assumption that after
> compiling a file, it would output a pyc file, but where does it go?
> Any help would be appreciated.

You might take a look at the source of lib/compiler/pycodegen.py

> Second, Are there any other projects out for bundling python bytecode
> files, making it able to use a couple files to distribute an entire
> app??  I saw one of the effbot site but it's old as it was written for
> 1.4..

Not sure what you are after. Do you want something lile PyInstaller

http://pyinstaller.python-hosting.com/

or eggs as in setuptools?

http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools

> Third, can distributing code in pyc files, speed up the application?
> Or would speed increases only be seen upon application initialization?
> As an example, let's say I'm running an application server, would
> distributing the source in some pyc files with a bootstrapper be any
> faster overall, or just on init??
>
> Thanks

The compilation overhead is neglectable. Unless you change the source
again the server will load the *.pyc file anyway. No significant
speedup has to be expected by not delivering the source.