Dynamic and lazy import

Alexandre Badez alexandre.badez at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 09:16:50 EDT 2007

Hye everyone,

I'm would like to do something a bit tricky.

I would like when I do something like to create a __init__ package's
(here calle my_package) file witch make an action when we try to
import something in this package...

Quiet like __getattribute__ work for a class, I would like this kind
of behaviour for a whole module or a package

be a bit clearer:
I've got a normal package/module/class (whathever) where I do
something like:

from my_package import my_module

(but in the my_package I've got only:
my_package / __init__.py

And in the __init__ of my my_package something like __getattribute__
(but for a module) that would return something for my_module

I know, that I can do something like charging everything "before" in
__init__ like:
my_module = the_thing_I_want

But I need it to be lazy (because I may have many module witch could
be very awful...).

Any idea ?
Is it possible ?