Dynamic and lazy import

Alexandre Badez alexandre.badez at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 08:49:27 EDT 2007

Thanks for all your advices, but it's not really what I would like to
do.

I'm going to be more clearer for what I really want to do.

Here we have got many library for different applications. All those
library have a version and between a version and an other, there isn't
always a very good backward compatibility (I know, it's very ugly, but
it's like that...).

Moreover some library use the version 1.1 and some the version 1.2 of
lib A and version 2.1 and version 2.0 of lib B ... you know what: it's
very ugly.

My idea was to be able to use lib quiet like that.

import A (<- If I want to use the very last version)
# or
import A.1_1 (<- If I want to use the version 1.1 of the A lib)

Something else ?
Yes :)
I do not want to add all those path in PYTHONPATH (would be too ugly,
and "complicated").
I want it lazy (do not import every version of every lib every time)
I want it scalable: if a user or the admin add a new lib or a version
of lib it would be very very great if he had nothing else (than copy
his directory) to do.

So what I wanted to do, was to be able to control what the user really
wanted to import, and act he excepted and put the "intelligence" in a
__init__ script