Cross-platform GUI development

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Mon Oct 15 09:53:40 EDT 2007

David Tremouilles wrote:
> "crappy",  "waaay better"
> I will not feed the troll...
> Pygtk on mac just do the work for me on a more than satisfying way.

If that's the case, good for you. If your application is open-source,
then perhaps it's not unreasonable to expect your users to adapt to the
way you do things--and there are enough Unix-savvy Mac users who won't
be put off by an X11-based app. (Heck, I use Gimp and Inkscape all the
time!) However, if you want to develop your application commercially,
*very* few Mac end users, even Unix-savvy ones, will pay for an
X11-based tool. I know I've opted not to purchase WingIDE, for instance,
because it's X11-based (PyGtk in fact) and because I can find plenty of
Mac-native programming tools. The interface quirks of the free Gimp are
tolerable because Photoshop is several hundred dollars, but I am not
willing to pay a few hundred dollars for a commercial tool that has the
same interface glitches.

Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin
http://www.codebykevin.com