pytz has so many timezones!

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Mon Oct 8 04:40:26 EDT 2007

Sanjay wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am using pytz.common_timezones to populate the timezone combo box of
> some user registration form. But as it has so many timezones (around
> 400), it is a bit confusing to the users. Is there a smaller and more
> practical set? If not, some suggestions on how to handle the
> registration form effectively would help me a lot.

I'm not a timezone-guru - but I _think_ if there are 400 timezones defined,
it should list them, shouldn't it? What if you lived in the one that's not
part of the "practical subset"?

The only one who can define what that practical subset is supposed to
consist of is _you_. You know where your app is being used, from whom.

Diez