py2exe (or other exe builder) on Vista system for Vista/XP install targets.

Michael michael.langford at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 08:08:41 EDT 2007

I'm trying to build a exe on a vista system using py2exe. It will
deploy to vista and XP systems. If it matters, the application uses
pyserial, as well. I have VS Studio 2005 installed on this laptop as
well. I've found this so far that seems to be identical to what I'm
seeing (for non-python programs): http://www.thescripts.com/forum/thread611031.html

When I attempt to run, I get "The procedure entry point
_except_handler4_common could not be located in the dynamic link
library mscvrt.dll."  Apparently vista has one more
_except_handler#_common function than XP does.

I've used py2exe several times before (however not recenty, as it was
before Vista came out). I'm using a very basic setup file right now:
from distutils.core import setup
import py2exe

setup(console=['responderbot.py'])

Are there any ways to either py2exe work or any other exe builder for
my build environment and deployment scenario? I don't really want to
dig around in py2exe/pyserial internals to force it to use the dll's
that the MS support person said it should be using. Will any automated
exe builder work where I am?

I've heard IronPython can compile down to an exe....is it a valid
alternative? Should my CPython utility be compatible with ipy? I only
use the random,time,sys, and serial modules. I really know very little
about ipy.

          --Michael