How to create a file on users XP desktop

kyosohma at gmail.com kyosohma at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 10:48:47 EDT 2007

On Oct 8, 9:19 am, goldtech <goldt... at worldpost.com> wrote:
> > from win32com.shell import shell, shellcon
>
> > desktop = shell.SHGetFolderPath (0, shellcon.CSIDL_DESKTOP, 0, 0)
>
> > </code>
>
> Tim,
>
> How did you learn Win32com?
>
> Other than the O'Reilly book, I've never found a lot of
> documentation.
>
> Trying to browse COM in PythonWin is tough - there's tons of stuff in
> there. I've never been able to find the Win32com classes, methods,
> usage examples when I browse COM in PythonWin.
>
> For example where is, shell.SHGetFolderPath and shellcon.CSIDL_DESKTOP
> officially documented?
>
> Did you learn from using Visual C++ or VB? How did you learn this
> stuff?
>
> Thanks,
> Lee G.

Pretty much the only place to learn stuff that's not in the PyWin32
docs is on one of the MSDN sites. Yes, that can suck. Here's the
general page: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx

You can google for them too to get direct links to the MSDN page.

The ActiveState Python (AKA ActivePython) has an IDE that allows you
to browse the COM module. It also has a help file that allows you to
browse the PyWin32 docs locally. I think you can download that without
downloading ActivePython.

Mike