choose from a list

barronmo barronmo at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 14:03:02 EDT 2007

I'm new to programming and even newer to Python and would be grateful
for some help on what has been a tough problem for me.  The project I
am working on is an electronic medical record using MySQL/Python.  I'm
currrently working on a module that looks up a patient's name based on
input from the user.

My goal is a lookup based on the first 2 or 3 letters of the patient's
last name.  The matching results would appear as numbered choices so
that the user would choose only a number to then access various parts
of the patient's record.  The results might look like this for user
input "smi":

1  387  John Smith
2  453  Jane Smith
3  975  Joe Smithton

Here is a copy of what I have so far, name_lookup.py:

import MySQLdb

def name_find(namefrag):

     conn = MySQLdb.connect(host = "localhost",
          user = "root",
          passwd = "n85",
          db = "meds")
     cursor = conn.cursor(MySQLdb.cursors.DictCursor)
     cursor.execute("SELECT patient_ID, firstname, lastname FROM
demographics WHERE lastname LIKE '"+ str(namefrag)+"%'")
     results = cursor.fetchall()
     for row in results:
          print "%s   %s %s  %s" % (row["patient_ID"],
row["firstname"], row["lastname"])

     cursor.close()
     conn.close()

Thanks in advance for any help.