choose from a list

barronmo barronmo at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 18:08:33 EDT 2007

Thanks to both of you for the help.  I made several of the changes you
suggested and am getting the results in the format I want, eg:

0  387  John Smith
1  453  Jane Smith
2  975  Joe Smithton

My plan at this point is, in addition to printing the results of the
query, to create a list with a matching index so the user can select a
name and I can store the patient_ID to get other parts of their
medical record.  Does this sound reasonable?

My code now looks like this:

import MySQLdb

def name_find(namefrag):

     conn = MySQLdb.connect(host = "localhost",
          user = "root",
          passwd = "Barron85",
          db = "meds")
     cursor = conn.cursor(MySQLdb.cursors.DictCursor)
     cursor.execute("SELECT patient_ID, firstname, lastname FROM
demographics WHERE lastname LIKE '%s%%'" % (namefrag))

     result = cursor.fetchall()
     for index, row in enumerate(result):
          print "%d %s   %s %s" % (index, row["patient_ID"],
row["firstname"], row["lastname"])
          #create list here

     cursor.close()
     conn.close()