pytz has so many timezones!

gatti at dsdata.it gatti at dsdata.it
Mon Oct 8 06:46:05 EDT 2007

On Oct 8, 10:40 am, "Diez B. Roggisch" <de... at nospam.web.de> wrote:
> Sanjay wrote:
> > Hi All,
>
> > I am using pytz.common_timezones to populate the timezone combo box of
> > some user registration form. But as it has so many timezones (around
> > 400), it is a bit confusing to the users. Is there a smaller and more
> > practical set? If not, some suggestions on how to handle the
> > registration form effectively would help me a lot.
>
> I'm not a timezone-guru - but I _think_ if there are 400 timezones defined,
> it should list them, shouldn't it? What if you lived in the one that's not
> part of the "practical subset"?

I think the problem is displaying a dropdown list of timezones. People
have little idea of how their timezones are called; it would be better
to list countries, which are many but nicely alphabetized, and map the
country to its only timezone, or for the few large countries with more
than a TZ offer a choice later.

Lorenzo Gatti