WebBased Vector 2D Graphics

cjt22 at bath.ac.uk cjt22 at bath.ac.uk
Fri Oct 5 06:26:06 EDT 2007

Hi there

I currently have a Python program outputing to the command line,
durations of 'completed Steps' and 'data items' in relation to time
i.e.

--------------jfh
              ---------kl    //kl started after jfh finished
                    % Ds  //new data arrived at this point in time
                    -------pl (1)  //Details error with finsihed Step
                           *kl      // This step is now outputed but
due to error with pl is cancelled (no duration)

I am new to doing any web based development and don't have a clue
where to start! I just wondered what is the best way to output this
program to a web page graphically.

I want to be able to represent these durations "-----" as rectangles
and as the program runs the page will refresh every 10 seconds, thus
the boxes will expand with time until they have finished. New data
will also be represented in boxes with a different colour. I believe
some kind of script will have to be run which constantly updates the
html page after x seconds which then causes the web page to refresh
with the updated data.

Is there any way this web programming can be done in python. Or
perhaps I can use soemthing such as ajax?

As mentioned previously, I have never done any web based development
so don't really know what I'm talking about when trying to understand
how I can go from this Python program output to producing some
graphical output on a web page.

Any help would be much appreciated
Chris