_tkinter installation in python 2.5 on mandriva with a default 2.4

wyleu chris.lyon at spritenote.co.uk
Wed Oct 31 14:03:32 EDT 2007

> tk.h is searched-for in detect_tkinter. Check whether tklib, tcllib,
> tcl_includes and tk_includes all get set. This should take only
> a single print statement.
>
> Regards,
> Martin

Ok I've cleared my increasingly frantic copies out

[root at localhost python2.5]# find / -name tk.h
/usr/include/tk.h
/usr/include/tk8.4.13/generic/tk.h

The slightly more verbose setup.py now reports

lib_dir:['/usr/local/lib', '/lib64', '/usr/lib64', '/lib', '/usr/lib']
Inc_dir: ['./Include', '.', '/usr/local/include', '/home/chris/
Python-2.5.1/Include', '/home/chris           /Python-2.5.1', '/usr/
include']
 Those TK libraries  tcllib=None tklib=None tcl_includes=None
tk_includes=None
INFO: Can't locate Tcl/Tk libs and/or headers

I don't understand why the headers report None as the file tk.h is
in   /usr/include ... or is the lack of the word generic more of a
problem?

I also can't work out what the name of the actual libraries are: which
doesn't help much.

The fact that None is reported for everything is a bit confusing.