The Modernization of Emacs: terminology buffer and keybinding

J. Clifford Dyer jcd at sdf.lonestar.org
Thu Oct 4 12:05:37 EDT 2007

On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 04:49:50PM +0200, Wildemar Wildenburger wrote regarding Re: The Modernization of Emacs: terminology buffer and keybinding:

> Steve Holden wrote:
> > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> >> Different Bible book, different author, different original language.
> >
> > So Genesis was written in Hebrew? I have no clue as to where the
> > manuscripts were found.
> >
> Am I missing a joke here? What are you talking about?

I'm trying to figure that out myself...

> Different book? From what book would the first sentence in the Bible be,
> if not from the first book (yeah yeah, from the publisher, haw-haw :-|)?

Yeah, different book.  "In the beginning was the Word" is John's cosmology.  Written in Greek long after Genesis, and a couple decades after Jesus was executed.

Also, I wouldn't so much say that "word" is a mistranslation.  Logos does indeed mean "word" in common usage, it just also carries along the baggage of reason, "logic" (for a loose definintion of which), rationality, and so forth.  So it's not so much inaccurate as inadequate.

> And Genesis and all other of Moe's books where written in Hebrew. No
> doubt about that. Its (part of) the /Hebrew/ Bible, after all.
> <URL:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torah>
>
> I can't program with discussions like this going on ;)
> /W

For real.  Not much python in this thread.  And yet, here I am, sucked into posting to a thread that I've spent the past three or four days wishing would die....

Sigh.

Cliff