Fwd: NUCULAR fielded text searchable indexing

Delaney, Timothy (Tim) tdelaney at avaya.com
Wed Oct 10 21:21:18 EDT 2007

Michael.Coll-Barth at VerizonWireless.com wrote:

>> From: Grant Edwards
>>
>> Anyway, I apologize for my attempt at humor, since it appears
>> to have somehow offended.
>
> Why apologize?  If someone doesn't like the name given to a piece of
> software by its author(s), screw them.  If I find the software useful,
> I'll use it.  Even if its called 'bouncingBetty'.  Actually, I might
> try it, just because of the name, but you get my point.

I agree entirely (being the person who started this). There is a
difference between using a word though that has existing connotations
for a lot of people, and one that doesn't.

In the case of "nucular", it's a mispronunciation that has been widely
ridiculed all over the world. There are people (including myself) who so
associate it as an object of ridicule that it's an immediate turn-off.

If you want to keep using the name, so be it - no skin off my nose. But
I couldn't mention NUCULAR here at work (Australia) for oh so many
reasons ...

Tim Delaney