Fwd: NUCULAR fielded text searchable indexing

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Wed Oct 10 10:48:45 EDT 2007

On 2007-10-09, Bill Hamilton <billwerk at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/9/07, Grant Edwards <grante at visi.com> wrote:

>> > I think it's an excellent name :)
>>
>> And Bush would probably pronounce it "Nuke-lee-ur".
>
> I dislike Bush as much as the next guy, but could we please keep
> politics off the group?

I say, it's a joke, son!

And there's nothing political about it.

The "joke" is predicated on the incongruity between the
superficial logic of the statement and reality.  The
superficial part is the assumption that somebody who swaps two
syllables when pronouncing a word will swap them back when the
word is _spelled_ with them swapped.  The reality is that's not
they way language processing works the human brain.

There's also some incongruity in the assumption that George Bush
would be discussing an obscure Python library.

OK, it wasn't _that_ funny, but there wasn't anything even
remotely political about it.  I just needed somebody who is
widely know to mis-pronounce nuclear as "nuke-you-lar".

Jimmy Carter would have worked just as well -- a little better,
actually, since he graduated from the Nuclear Engineering
program at the US Naval Acadamy, and the mere fact that he
mispronounces nuclear is sort of incongruous.  But, there
probably aren't that many people who remember how Jimmy Carter
pronounced the work nuclear, or that he had a degree in nuclear
engineering.

Anyway, I apologize for my attempt at humor, since it appears
to have somehow offended.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! The Osmonds!  You are
                                  at               all Osmonds!!  Throwing up