Python - why don't this script work?

Ohmster root at dev.nul.invalid
Tue Oct 23 00:45:03 EDT 2007

Steve Ackman <steve at SNIP-THIS.twoloonscoffee.com>  wrote in
news:slrnfhqtv5.de7.steve at sorceror.wizard.dyndns.org:

[snip]
>   Did you bother reading the comments?  If you had, you'd
> know that's not how you run it.
>   When run as directed (and common sense dictates),
> it works fine.
[snip]

I figured it out, I have to run python I think first then the script and
the URL like this:

$ python image-harvester.py http://public.fotki.com/DaGennelman/

Now that actually seems to be doing something and it sure is busy now. It
is making a lot of little subdirectories in my test directory. I had to
copy image-harvester.py to the test directory first, then run python and
image-harvester.py w/URL and it is going to town. Tons of subfolders, so
far not images yet but it is not done. At least it is doing something now
and not bitching and hanging. I guess I had to call up python and pass it
to the script as the script does not seem to pull up python on it's own. So
far I have 60 directories and about 45 robots.txt but no jpg files yet. I
will let you know what happens. I think that these images are protected by
script, you never get a valid URL to the imgage file, just referrers, and
numbers and what not. When the image is finally displayed in your browser,
then you can save it but not until then. Pretty good way to stop a
harvester. Is this assumption pretty much correct or is there a way to make
this work? Now that I use python as the first command, I can run it in an
ssh window now and do not require an x-server.

Feel free to jump right in with your input on how this should or won't work
and what can be done to make it better. I have all of my scripts in a
$HOME/scripts/ directory and it is in my path but running this from another
directory does not work if image-harvester.py is not in the harvest
directory where I run the script from. I can right click on the image and
save it but the amazing script trips all over itself with these wacky file
name. I am all ears if someone figures it.
--
~Ohmster | ohmster /a/t/ ohmster dot com
Put "messageforohmster" in message body