Version specific or not?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Oct 18 09:53:47 EDT 2007

Scott David Daniels wrote:
> Steven W. Orr wrote:
>> We have an app and I'm trying to decide where the app ... .
>> /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages
>> or
>> /usr/lib/site-python
>>
>> The latter would solve a lot of problems for me.
> Fewer than you suspect
>
>> If there are multiple versions of python installed on the same machine,
>> having a shebang that just looked for /usr/bin/python would make my life
>> a lot easier.
>
>> * Since we distribute .pyo files, is there an issue if the .pyo was
>> built with 2.3.5 and then executed by 2.4 or 2.5?
>
> Each python M.N.X has its own byte code for distinct values of M and/or N.
> So, if you had a shared directory, not only would your users have to
> be able to write to the shared directory (when they import mumble, and
> mumble.pyc or mumble.pyo has been generated by a different version of
> Python, they will recompile mumble.py and rewrite mumble.pyc (or .pyo).

If the users *don't* have write access to the directory then no
byte-code is stored, and everything has to compile the libraries each
time. So it isn't necessary to have write, but either way sharing
libraries between versions is a pain for the reason you state.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119

Sorry, the dog ate my .sigline so I couldn't cat it