Version specific or not?

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Wed Oct 10 10:49:07 EDT 2007

We have an app and I'm trying to decide where the app should be
installed. The question is whether it should be site-specific or not, as
in

/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages
or
/usr/lib/site-python

The latter would solve a lot of problems for me.

In the case of emacs, most stuff seems to go into $EMACS/site-lisp and far
less into $EMACS/$current_version/site-lisp. The python site dirs seem to
be the opposite. We have lots of stuff in the 2.3/site-packages and very
little in the site-python directory.

If there are multiple versions of python installed on the same machine,
having a shebang that just looked for /usr/bin/python would make my life a
lot easier.

* Since we distribute .pyo files, is there an issue if the .pyo was built
with 2.3.5 and then executed by 2.4 or 2.5?

* Are there any caveats?

TIA

steveo at syslang.net