why did these companies choose Tcl over Python

chewie54 dfabrizio51 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 15:01:16 EDT 2007

On Oct 31, 3:06 am, Tim Roberts <t... at probo.com> wrote:
> chewie54 <dfabrizi... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >As an electronics engineer I use some very expensive EDA CAD tool
> >programs that are scriptable using Tcl.  I was wondering why these
> >companies have choose to use Tcl instead of Python.   Some of these
> >are:
>
> >   Mentor Graphics ModelTech VHDL and Verilog simulator
> >   Synopsys  Design Compiler and Primetime Static Timing Analyzer
> >   Actel FPGA tools.
>
> Well, I recently did a development contract for Mentor, and the RFQ gave me
> the choice of doing the library binding and diagnostic GUI in either Tcl or
> Python.  Naturally, I chose Python (and wxPython), and both the client and
> I are quite happy with the result.
>
> (Actually, I did a Tcl binding for them as well, and just writing the text
> scripts reinforced my dislike for it...)
> --
> Tim Roberts, t... at probo.com
> Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Hi Tim,

I would like to use Python and C and wxWidgets for my EDA CAD program.
I want
to put most of the program core in an Python extension and GUI in
wxWidgets.

I do need to get publishing quality vector graphics outputs from this
program so
one of my concerns is if the wxWidgets will work for this or will I
have to use
something like openGL or Cairo.

Did your work for Mentor include a high quality graphics output?

Thanks,