Python and SQLite release cycles

mikhail.savitsky at gmail.com mikhail.savitsky at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 03:42:26 EDT 2007

Hi,

Official Python distro is very stable, with release cycle of around 1
year. However, to include the new version of SQLite, which has a much
shorter release cycle, one has to rebuild the main Python distribution
(to compile with the new SQLite headers) - this is from Python docs.
Therefore, inclusion of PySQLite in Python-2.5.1 distro effectively
shrinks the Python release cycle to that of SQLite. I would not have
minded, except that we have many workstations and pretty arcane
deployment procedure, making frequent redeployment of Python quite
painful.
Has anyone considered this problem and maybe a work-around?

Many thanks in advance,

Mikhail