Yet another comparison of Python Web Frameworks

Bruno Desthuilliers bruno.42.desthuilliers at wtf.websiteburo.oops.com
Sun Oct 7 08:36:03 EDT 2007

Steve Holden a écrit :
> Lawrence Oluyede wrote:
(snip)
>> We (Michele, myself and our colleagues) have a series of stuff we need
>> to stick to so the choosing of a web framework ain't that easy. Most of
>> the frameworks are a vision of the author of how to do things from
>> scratch but a framework (by definition an evolution of a library) is not
>> always meant to be used when the scratch is far from your starting
>> point.
>>
> Porting existing web applications to new architectures requires more
> than just transliteration, since you lose some metaphors available only
> in the donor system and may therefore need to take advantage of new
> idioms in the new environment to compensate.
>
> I spent some time trying to re-architect the code from "Python Web
> Programming" in TurboGears. That was difficult not because TG is a bad
> system but because there was an impedance mismatch between the original
> code's framework and the way TG does things.
>
> I guess I would have similar problems with Django.

Indeed. But AFAICT, Lawrence and Michele problems is not to port an
existing web application, but to choose a web framework that will play
well with their existing *system* (RDBMS, existing apps and libs etc).
Which is quite another problem, and may eliminate some otherwise pretty
good frameworks for compatibility reasons (DBMS support and other issues).

(please Michele or Lawrence correct me if I'm wrong...)