Cross-platform GUI development

Alexandre Badez alexandre.badez at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 04:36:33 EDT 2007

On Oct 12, 10:13 am, "psaff... at googlemail.com"
<psaff... at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I've been programming in Python for 5 or more years now and whenever I
> want a quick-n-dirty GUI, I use Tkinter. This is partly because it's
> the first toolkit I learnt, but also because it's part of the standard
> Python distribution and therefore easy to get Python apps to work
> cross platform - it usually requires almost no porting effort.
>
> However, when I need a little bit more grunt, I tend to turn to Tix,
> which I thought was also fairly standard. However, this week, I wrote
> a Tix application under Linux which I'd really like to work on Mac OS
> and it's proving fairly painful to get it going. There is no Tix in
> the standard fink or apt repositories and when I download a tar-ball,
> it wouldn't build because it had a lot of unmet dependencies. I then
> read a post which said that only Tkinter/Python people really use Tix
> anymore and people in tcl/tk moved onto better toolkits long ago.
>
> My question is if Tix is old hat, what is the GUI toolkit I *should*
> be using for quick-n-dirty cross platform GUI development? I guess
> this is tangentially related to:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/...
>
> I hope this isn't a stupid question. I'm wearing flame retardant
> underwear.
>
> Peter

Personnaly, I use PyQt simply because I prefere Qt to Gtk, witch is
much more integrated with all desktop than Gtk.
In fact, your application in Qt on Mac, Win or Linux look like a
native app.

Just a question of "feeling" I think; because most of those GUI
framework, offer quiet the same functionality.