Cross-platform GUI development

BlueBird phil at freehackers.org
Fri Oct 12 06:57:18 EDT 2007

On Oct 12, 12:30 pm, Nick Craig-Wood <n... at craig-wood.com> wrote:
> > > My question is if Tix is old hat, what is the GUI toolkit I *should*
> > > be using for quick-n-dirty cross platform GUI development? I guess
> > > this is tangentially related to:
>
> > >http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/...
>
> >  Personnaly, I use PyQt simply because I prefere Qt to Gtk, witch is
> >  much more integrated with all desktop than Gtk.
> >  In fact, your application in Qt on Mac, Win or Linux look like a
> >  native app.

>From my point of view, PyQt is very good. Qt is very actively
developed and maintained, and the PyQt binding is of very good
quality, and fully documented. I have used personally for several
cross-platform projects and it worked like a charm.

I like Qt's approach and extensive documentation. I've found that it
works both for complex GUI as for quick'n dirty. There is usually a
widget to do just what I need so that I can focus on my application
logic instead of on the GUI code.

In short, usage of Qt has driven me to love it.

When looking at the other guis, I always find that the documentation
is under my expectations, or that that things are quite complex to set-
up to get what you need.

On Oct 12, 12:30 pm, Nick Craig-Wood <n... at craig-wood.com> wrote:
> I'd recommend wxPython over those becase
>
> 1) native look and feel on all platforms

You get it with PyQt as well.

> 2) doesn't require expensive licensing for non-commercial apps (QT)

You mean "doesn't require expensive licensing for close source apps".
Open source apps are free of charge. For professional developments, I
bought the Qt license several times in the past because it was worth
the time saved in my opinion.

> 3) Isn't a pain to install on windows (GTK)

You get it with Qt as well. I was able to use it even as a windows
newbie.