pytz has so many timezones!

mensanator at aol.com mensanator at aol.com
Tue Oct 9 13:31:38 EDT 2007

On Oct 9, 2:58 am, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfr... at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 10:41:03 -0700, "mensana... at aol.com"
> <mensana... at aol.com> declaimed the following in comp.lang.python:
>

> > There are only 25 timezones: -12, -11, ... -1, 0 (GMT), +1, ... +11,
> > +12.
>
>         Uhm... -12 and +12 would be the same, wouldn't they?

No, they are seperated by the International Date Line,
so although zones -12 & +12 have the same clock time, they
are different dates.

>         There are only 24 divisions 15deg wide in longitude, 7.5deg to each
> size of zone center, and Greenwich is center of 0...

And zones -12 & +12 are each nominally 7.5deg wide,
so 23*15 + 2*7.5 gives you 25 zones spanning 360deg.

>         However, consider that the former Soviet Union is reputed to have
> used only ONE timezone for the entire width of the country (sunrise at
> 6AM say in Moscow would be near sunset on the east coast)

When was this, in the days before air travel when it took
3 weeks to cross Siberia by train?

>         So while there are only 24 hourly offsets, there can be many "zones"
> to reflect variations in daylight time changes or non-standard
> offsets...

The point I was trying to make is that although there may
be 400 zones, there aren't 400 offsets. And aren't these
offsets part of the timezone record?