readline support on openSuSE

gardsted gardsted at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 17 14:44:46 EDT 2007

Milos Prudek wrote:
> This question concerns compilation of Python from sources. Specifically Python
> 2.3.6.
>
> On Kubuntu 7.04, ./configure outputs these lines about readline:
> checking for rl_pre_input_hook in -lreadline... yes
> checking for rl_completion_matches in -lreadline... yes
>
> On openSuSE 10.3, ./configure outputs these lines about readline:
> checking for rl_pre_input_hook in -lreadline... no
> checking for rl_completion_matches in -lreadline... no
>
> And, of course, line editing in Python shell is possible on Kubuntu and
> impossible on openSuSE.
>
> I do have libreadline5 and readline-devel RPM installed on openSuSE. What else
> might I need to have readline support?

This is not an answer but

I have 10.3 installed, and I found that a lot of my (not python-) compiling troubles went away after installing 'a lot' from the
development patterns presented by yast.
I am so demented that I tend not to get the dependencies straight when installing from the 'personal memory';-)

kind retards
jorgen / de mente

something completely different:
myspace.com/dementedk