How to best send email to a low volume list?

Thu Oct 25 00:47:51 EDT 2007

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 23:08:14 -0500, Shane Geiger wrote:

> A mailing list manager is really overkill for what he is trying to do
> *IF* he is not maintaining a discussion list.

It's not overkill at all. Mailman is easy to install (at least on a Red
Hat based Linux system, your mileage may vary elsewhere) and easy to use
*and* for bonus marks it's written in Python.

> A "newsletter" list
> doesn't sound like a discussion list, especially since he wants to hide
> the email addresses of the other people.

There's more to running a mailing list than just sending emails. How do
you handle archives, the invariable complaints of missing newsletters,
requests for subscriptions, unsubscriptions, and temporary "I'll be on
holiday for a month, don't email me until I return" requests? And even if
it is not a discussion list, people expect to be able to write back to
the author/editor of the newsletter.

--
Steven.