How can I create customized classes that have similar properties as 'str'?

Licheng Fang fanglicheng at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 05:42:36 EST 2007

On Nov 25, 5:59 am, Steven D'Aprano <st... at REMOVE-THIS-
cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 03:44:59 -0800, Licheng Fang wrote:
> > On Nov 24, 7:05 pm, Bjoern Schliessmann <usenet-
> > mail-0306.20.chr0n... at spamgourmet.com> wrote:
>
> >> Are you using millions of objects, or MB size objects? Otherwise, this
> >> is no argument.
>
> > Yes, millions.
>
> Oh noes!!! Not millions of words!!!! That's like, oh, a few tens of
> megabytes!!!!1! How will a PC with one or two gigabytes of RAM cope?????
>
> Tens of megabytes is not a lot of data.
>
> If the average word size is ten characters, then one million words takes
> ten million bytes, or a little shy of ten megabytes. Even if you are
> using four-byte characters, you've got 40 MB, still a moderate amount of
> data on a modern system.

I mentioned trigram counting as an illustrative case. In fact, you'll
often need to define patterns more complex than that, and tens of
megabytes of text may generate millions of them, and I've observed
they quickly  ate up the 8G memory of a workstation in a few minutes.
Manipulating these patterns can be tricky, you can easily waste a lot
of memory without taking extra care. I just thought if I define my
pattern class with this 'atom' property, coding efforts could be
easier later.