How can I create customized classes that have similar properties as 'str'?

George Sakkis george.sakkis at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 17:58:50 EST 2007

On Nov 24, 4:59 pm, Steven D'Aprano

<st... at REMOVE-THIS-cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 03:44:59 -0800, Licheng Fang wrote:
> > On Nov 24, 7:05 pm, Bjoern Schliessmann <usenet-
> > mail-0306.20.chr0n... at spamgourmet.com> wrote:
>
> >> Are you using millions of objects, or MB size objects? Otherwise, this
> >> is no argument.
>
> > Yes, millions.
>
> Oh noes!!! Not millions of words!!!! That's like, oh, a few tens of
> megabytes!!!!1! How will a PC with one or two gigabytes of RAM cope?????

Comments like these make one wonder if your real life experience with
massive data matches even the one tenth of your self-importance and
need to be snarky in most of your posts.

To the OP: yes, your use case is quite valid; the keyword you are
looking for is "memoize". You can find around a dozen of recipes in
the Cookbook and posted in this list; here's one starting point:
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/413717.

HTH,
George