Web update library in python?

Bjoern Schliessmann usenet-mail-0306.20.chr0n0ss at spamgourmet.com
Tue Nov 20 10:11:32 EST 2007

Jorgen Bodde wrote:
> As for subversion, this is not possible as I want to provide
> people wihtout the ability to have a subversion server but only a
> plain web site,

What's a "plain web site"? Could mod_python be on it?

> to download a file that can upgrade a local work copy.

As others mentioned, there is quite a risk that your files get out
of sync if someone downloads while you upload. The local copy will
be partly old, partly new. If the server can't do locking, you'll
need to control everything client-side. Which means hashing all
files and comparing against your control file. With much diff
downloading this could get really messy, I think.

> Requiring either SVN locally or server side is not really user
> friendly ..

Requiring _your_ tool locally is? :) If I were your client, I'd
prefer subversion (since I use it frequently).

Regards,

Björn

--
BOFH excuse #25: