difference between IDLE and command line

Jim Hendricks jim at bizcomputinginc.com
Fri Nov 2 12:38:07 EDT 2007

New to Python, and just had something strange happen.

I've been running my new code in IDLE running in windows.  My IDLE
version shows as 1.2.1, Python version displaying in IDLE is 2.5.1.

I have been editing my code in UltraEdit then testing in IDLE by
choosing open, then F5.  I didn't see an easy way to refresh in IDLE, so
each edit I've been closing the file (not IDLE itself), then opening
again.  Since IDLE does not keep track of what directory I last opened
from, this gets tedious, so I decided to run my code from the command line.

Here's where it got interesting for me.  From the command line, I'm in
the directory containing my source, I execute via "python mycode.py", I
receive an error in my code.  Specifically, it's erroring because I have
a copyright character in a string that I am outputting via the
file.write method.  The error has to do with no encoding declared.

What surprised me is that this code runs with no problems in IDLE.

Should I expect different execution behavior between IDLE and a command
prompt?

Oh, and executing python all by itself in the command prompt shows the
same version as what is displayed in IDLE.