which Python ? asks beginner

Paul McGuire ptmcg at austin.rr.com
Sat Nov 17 13:43:48 EST 2007

On Nov 17, 12:20 pm, Dave WB3DWE wrote:
> Have given up Java. Want to switch to Python.  But _which_ ?
> There is ver :
>      2.5  out now
>      2.6  in beta , final expected Apr 2008
>      3.0   ? in alpha or beta
>      3.0 final expected Sep 2008 ?

This is not for us to decide, but rather for you.  For example:
- I work for a company and I want to include Python scripting as part
of our development environment. No one here has used Python before.
(Pick 2.5, you will not have to "unlearn" much for 2.6, and you'll
have the latest language features.)
- I want to deploy Python applications on Hosting Service X. (Ask
Hosting Service X which version they support - don't be surprised if
the answer is v2.2, but if it is, that's the version you'll work
with.)
- I just like hacking with languages (Pick 2.6 beta or 3.0 alpha, or
pick them both and see what you like about each.)

> Will the real python please stand up?
Don't be a wise ass.  Even version 2.2 is a "real" Python.  Some folks
are even maintaining compatibility with 1.5.2.  The version to use
depends on your own situation, give it some thought - we are not mind-
readers.

-- Paul