which Python ? asks beginner

Scott SA pydev at rscorp.ab.ca
Sat Nov 17 13:51:50 EST 2007

On 11/17/07, WB3DWE at bag.python.org (Dave at bag.python.org) wrote:

>Have given up Java. Want to switch to Python.  But _which_ ?
>There is ver :
>     2.5  out now
>     2.6  in beta , final expected Apr 2008
>     3.0   ? in alpha or beta
>     3.0 final expected Sep 2008 ?
>Will the real python please stand up.

In the early stages of learning, the core of 2.5 compared to earlier versions will be functionally similar if not identical. I have books on version 2.2, for example, that are still quite relevent today for a majority of things.

"Go big or go home" can be a precarious philosophy to live by, so why live on the edge, when you don't know where the edge is? (let alone how sharp, steep or deap it is once you get there).

0.02

Scott