Populating a dictionary, fast [SOLVED SOLVED]

Thu Nov 15 16:11:51 EST 2007

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 11:11:57 -0800, Istvan Albert wrote:

> On Nov 14, 6:26 pm, Steven D'Aprano <st... at REMOVE-THIS-
> cybersource.com.au> wrote:
>
>> On systems with multiple CPUs or 64-bit systems, or both, creating
>> and/or deleting a multi-megabyte dictionary in recent versions of
>> Python (2.3, 2.4, 2.5 at least) takes a LONG time, of the order of 30+
>> minutes, compared to seconds if the system only has a single CPU.
>
> Please don't propagate this nonsense. If you see this then the problem
> exists between the chair and monitor.
>
> There is nothing wrong with neither creating nor deleting dictionaries.

Please read the whole thread before making unsupported statements like
that. You should consider that this behaviour has been observed by
multiple people, before making insulting statements.

Both myself and the original poster have given code that demonstrates
this problem. We've given concrete evidence of a problem which is
replicable across different versions of Python and different versions of
the Linux operating system.

Unless you're accusing both myself and the original poster of outright
lying, of faking our results, what's your explanation? Have you tried
running our code on a 64-bit or multi-CPU system to see for yourself, or
are you just being closed-minded and arrogant?

--
Steven.