Python IDE

rustom rustompmody at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 00:33:32 EST 2007

On Nov 10, 8:43 am, AppZl... at gmail.com wrote:
> On Nov 3, 10:11 pm, Simon Pickles <sipick... at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
>
> > I have recently moved from Windows XP to Ubuntu Gutsy.
>
> > I need a Python IDE and debugger, but have yet to find one as good as
> > Pyscripter for Windows. Can anyone recommend anything? What are you all
> > using?
>
> > Coming from a Visual Studio background, editing text files and using the
> > terminal to execute them offends my sensibilities :)
>
> > Thanks
>
> > Si
>
> -------------
> eclipse + pydev plugin will be a good choice.
> thanks

I had problems installing pydev because of mylin/mylar. These forums
had the same issue a few days ago, see
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/msg/59394feeada558fd

I was considering eclipse because I believe that eclipse gives good
refactoring support. [And a client wanted it!]
But then I found that eclipse uses pydev for python. And python uses
bicycle repair man -- which is what emacs uses for refactoring! So
might as well stay with emacs.

To substantiate what Bruno says:
The USP of python is that its an interpreter -- you can learn python
by playing around without an elaborate compile-link-test-edit cycle.
The USP of emacs (in this context) is its support for inferior
interpreters along with good editing support.
Hence the combo is quite hard to beat.