Parallel Python environments..

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Tue Nov 6 11:39:00 EST 2007

bruce wrote:

> Hi..
>
> If I wanted to be able to build/test/use parallel python versions, what
> would I need to do/set (paths/libs/etc...) and where would I need to place
> the 2nd python version, so as not to screw up my initial python dev env.
>
> I'd like to be able to switch back/forth between the different versions if
> possible. I know it should be, but I haven't been able to find what I'm
> looking for via the 'net...
>
> Any sites/pointers describing the process would be helpuful. In
> particular, any changfes to the bashrc/profile/etc... files to allow me to
> accomplish this would be helpful.

Installation of several python versions is easy on at least Windows &
unixish platforms. For the latter, ususally your package-management offers
several versions. If your's doesn't or you use windows, just install as
required by python itself.

Only what gets chosen as default python version in case of e.g. *.py-files
clicking in windows explorer depends on the python version installed as
last and must be changed by the OS's means for it if other behavior is
desired.

Diez