Parallel Python environments..

Thorsten Kampe thorsten at thorstenkampe.de
Wed Nov 7 03:53:12 EST 2007

* bruce (Tue, 6 Nov 2007 13:43:10 -0800)
> if i have python 2.4.3 installed, it gets placed in the python2.4 dir.. if i
> don't do anything different, and install python 2.4.2, it too will get
> placed in the python2.4 tree... which is not what i want.
>
> i'm running rhel4/5...

So you're using rpm as a packet manager. I suggest you RTFM to see if
there are options for slots or dual installations.

> so.. i still need to know what to do/change in order to be able to run
> multiple versions of python, and to switch back/forth between the versions.

Unpack the Python rpm to ~/bin or compile Python yourself. And be more
specific about what you mean with "switching back/forth".

On the other hand - as Gabriel pointed out: there is almost a 100%
certainty that the problem you want to solve by having Python 2.4.2
*and* 2.4.3 simultaneously exists only in your head or cannot be
solved this way.

Thorsten