Python web frameworks

Istvan Albert istvan.albert at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 10:33:49 EST 2007

On Nov 20, 9:42 am, "Diez B. Roggisch" <de... at nospam.web.de> wrote:
> > 12/7. Django comes with its own little server so that you don't have
> > to set up Apache on your desktop to play with it.
>
> I was rather shocked to learn that django only has this tiny server and does
> not come with a stand-alone server

Alas it is even worse than that, the development server is single
threaded and that can be a big problem when developing sites that make
multiple simultaneous requests at the same time (say if one of those
requests stalls for some reason). It is trivial to add multi threading
via a mixin (takes about two lines of code) but it does not seem to be
a priority to do so.

For large traffic though, Django is better than just about anything
other framework because it is built as multiprocess framework through
mod_python (rather than threaded). So there is no global interpreter
lock, thread switching etc. Django was built based in a real life
heavy duty use scenario, and over the years that really helped with
ironing out the problems.

i.