Python web frameworks

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Thu Nov 22 14:53:05 EST 2007

On Nov 20, 7:55 am, "Joe Riopel" <goo... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 20, 2007 8:46 AM, BartlebyScrivener <bscrivene... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >  Django comes with its own little server so that you don't have
> > to set up Apache on your desktop to play with it.
>
> Pylons too, it's good for development but using the bundled web server
> is not recommended for production.

It's actually fine to use it for production.  There's two servers that
are used commonly with Pylons, the one in Paste and the CherryPy
server (it's a one-line configuration change to switch).  The
generally recommended production deployment is using one of these,
with another HTTP server in front proxying requests back.  There's
lots of side-benefits to that particular setup, like hosting the
Pylons app alongside static files, PHP, etc.  But there's quite a few
people who serve directly from Python (probably more often using the
CherryPy server, though I don't really know the differences in a
production situation).

Anyway, mostly an aside for choosing a framework.

  Ian